My thoughts on Topic 3

• I agree that developing growth mindset should be an important factor for student success and it is a good idea to promote it in both students and faculty
  • The results of the research done at a culturally homogenous institution may not be generalizable to a primarily minority serving institution. Hawai tapped into it by asking how the results will differ at CUNY but I was not satisfied with the answer.  
  • Oksana’s question about whether the same factors that make people fail may make them succeed made me think that students from underrepresented populations should not have this additional stress regardless of whether it leads them to success or to failure
  • I found it strange that in the presentation on stereotype threat the presenter said that with a good teacher the students will be more likely to grow up and become lawyers than janitors, essentially suggesting that lawyers are somehow more valuable in a society than janitors. This example makes me realize how important it is for researchers to reflect on their own cognitive biases