Topic 2: Motivation & Persistence

The method I use to promote autonomy in my students is to increase their sense of competence. I do that from the beginning of the semester by encouraging and giving instruction on effective note-taking and study techniques. Teaching my students to work smarter rather than harder noticeably increases their confidence in being able to recall significant amounts of information. 

In order to increase motivation, I design a specific amount of extra credit into my courses in order to encourage students to stretch their abilities that extra mile. I find that this has a positive effect on students who begin the semester less than successful. Having the opportunity to increase their academic standing after a rough beginning increases motivation in them.

And finally, In order to promote persistence, I use a cumulative grading system. Many of my students say that this type of grading system increases their endurance throughout the semester, and helps them to see academic success a long term race that requires consistency of effort.