Equity & Cultural Competency

I could not help but think about our previous administration and the term MAGA and what it meant…the resistance to us. Those who represent the underrepresented and those who support them or both. The graphs from Dr. Flores’ presentation and its predictions of the shifts in demographics perhaps if not absolutely portends to the fear and resistance so many people have, in academia and outside of it, to change. Change is scary for many, especially when it is overtly visible and not understood. It makes us vulnerable because we do not know the ‘newness’ that comes our way. It is easier without it. Hearing from students is especially helpful. The quotes from the students were insightful. We need to continue to listen to them and continue to learn and more importantly why we need to improve. I am grateful to live by what I teach, that is, I am always a student first and foremost. I reflect on this and the data from all the presenters in revising my syllabi, but I do know more needs to be done. This week I will have poster-board prints made to be posted in the hallway to represent our first NIH T-34 scholars-all REM students. As Dr. Byrd mentioned, we need representation.